Thursday, October 04, 2007

Development Environments

Its been more than a year since I last posted anything here. A lot has happened in that time but hopefully I will be able to post more often now. Today I want to comment a bit on editor features.

For the last year and a half I have been using Netbeans as my IDE of choice. It took some time but I was finally converted from eclipse. Now don't get me wrong, eclipse is a very good development environment and probably enjoys wider support than Netbeans. So nothing is wrong with it. There is one place where Netbeans has the advantage though...installation and configuration.

With Netbeans, the installation is easy and the add ons are just as easy. Finding the updates and installing them are a very simple process. Setting up eclipse and configuring all the tools that you need to work with has been a headache. After the set up everything goes smoothly and the tools do a great job. In my case I found that I have to set up several different machines and after a while I started appreciating the simplicity of the Netbeans installation.

I see that with Netbeans 6.0 all the common tools are included in the installation so its now even easier than before. I would usually download Netbeans and the Visual Web Pack and several others. I am looking forward to using 6.0 for this reason.

No comments: