Monday, July 31, 2006

What this blog is about.

When designing this blog I thought about what I wanted to say and could not narrow it down to a single topic. You would probably notice that the description of my blog include a number of topics such as: Struts, Hibernate, J2EE, JSTL, JSF, Java Programming, UML and the Baha'i Faith. These are just a few of the topics that I want to write about. I would like to explain why.

I have two jobs at the moment. First, I am a lecturer at the School of Business and Computer Science (SBCS) where I lecture a number of courses that fall in the field of computer science. Second, I am a software developer that use these technologies and more in my development work. In addition to my work I also have some thoughts on the Baha'i Faith that would like to share.

As far as lecturing is concerned, I hope that students would find some of these posts useful. I would try to post answers to questions that students frequently ask as well as pointers and tips on the various courses that I teach. The courses are:
  1. Object Oriented Software Development - Level 3 - BSc. Degree in Computing - University of Greenwich.
  2. Introduction to Computing and The Internet(CIS110) - Level 1 - BSc. Computing Information Systems - University of London
  3. Advanced Programming Concepts(CIS212) - Level 2 - BSc. Computing Information Systems - University of London
  4. Software Engineering(CIS210) - Level 2 - BSc. Computing Information Systems - University of London
There are a number of short courses and corporate training packages that I also deliver along the same lines.

As a developer I develop software for corporations as a consultant. In some cases I use the Java Platform and in some cases I use the .NET platform. I use Java whenever I have some degree of flexibility to choose the development platform and I use .NET when the company dictates the environment based on their own internal criteria. Maybe they have a team of inhouse developers that are already trained in the .NET environment.

Recently I put together a number of technologies into a single framework that will serve as the starting point for my future development work. I used Struts, Hibernate, Tiles, JSF and others. Later I discovered the AppFuse project. I haven't had a chance to evaluate that framework but it is doing exactly what I was trying to do. It most likely is superior so if you are looking for such a framework I suggest that you try it. In the mean time I learned a few things and wanted to share them with others who may be attempting to get these technologies to work together.


Finally, (but most importantly) I am a Baha'i and I wish to share some of the ideas that I have come across while reading and investigating the Faith. It is not my intention to repeat a number of facts about the faith here. You can get that at the Baha'i International Site . However, I would discuss some concepts and experiences I have had as a Baha'i.

As time goes by I will re-evaluate my content to see if I could focus the discussion better. But thats the best I could do for now.

No comments: